Friday, April 30, 2010

A very profound question...

Last night while enjoying a very lovely happy hour with Amelia and Erin I was asked a very profound question by Amelia. After a minute or two of me expressing concern that I may not ever "grow" in my current position Amelia asked me what I would want to do if money was no object and I could do anything I wanted. My initial response was to say I would want to work at the White House in PR and campaigning of course! But then I realized that is what I would want to do if money and prestige was the object.

So after a few beers and some major deep thoughts I got to thinking. What would I want to do if money was no object and I could just do what I loved? I came to the conclusion that I would want to own my own bakery. I absolutely love baking and would love to have a little specialty shop here in Austin where I could sell cookies and cakes. I feel like the only people coming into a bakery are happy people, how often do you need cookies and cakes for a sad occasion? So it would be a happy, fun and creative place to work. I would want to take some baking and design courses of course, but I honestly think that would be my ideal situation. I truly believe you can not build real wealth unless you become your own boss. I would get to make money and do something I love.

If I had to have a real world job and money was not an object still I would want to be a teacher. I love the idea of helping children learn and grow and I would hope I could make kids passionate about a subject like my teachers did for me. I also LOVE the idea of being home with my family in the summers and having the same days off as them. My mom did this for us for years and I truly believe it helped mold me into the woman I am today.

So there you have it. I had a great happy hour with a new friend and an old friend. Had some beer and other bar food, and had a very enlightening conversation with myself while buzzed and laying in bed drinking tea. I would say my thirsty Thursday was a success!

1 comment:

Erin said...

who was eating bar food?? if i remember correctly, our waitress brought us nothing but whole grains, vegetables, and protein...

if money was no issue, i'd be a housewife with hobbies. i'd take classes, volunteer for organizations that mean something to me, and spend time with my children. oh wait, i don't have children OR a husband.. damn, well then i guess it doesn't make sense to be a housewife. hmm.. maybe i'd come work in your bakery. sounds like a good time =)