Friday, April 2, 2010

First Dress Fitting

I had my first dress fitting today and I wanted to give you all an update.

Some background first. I got my dress last August when my mom was in town for only one weekend. I really wanted her to be there and I was glad that she and my sister were able to help me pick out my dress. But I made my choice very quickly. I really think mom and sister helped pick out a dress that was just right for me. The dress came in just after Christmas and I went to try it on with Janet. Well, it was HUGE and did not feel like it was the same dress at all. I started to get a bit nervous that I had chosen the wrong dress for me. The whole shape of the dress was different.

Today I had the dress all pinned in. I added the corset to make my boobs be in the right place. I had my shoes on to make me look taller. I feel much better about it but I am not going to lie I am still feeling apprehensive about the whole thing. I still wonder if the fit of the dress is throwing me off.

I love the dress don't get me wrong but I am always going to wonder if it is just right. I feel like when I have it on I get very out of body with my thoughts. My dress does not feel like my dress anymore but just another object I am analyzing and critiquing. I look at it and I think wow so pretty and I feel like I am playing dress up in someone else's big girl wedding dress. Kind of like I am not "grown up" enough for this yet. Did anyone else feel this way? I have heard many brides question their dress at some point during the planning process. I am sure it is the right dress just still feels funny to be dressed up like a bride.

I am sure this feeling is just me being weird.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I think this is totally normal. I, too, did all of my dress shopping in one weekend when my mom was in town. It was kind of stressful and rushed. I felt kind of empty after we placed the order. I worried about it for the 4 months it took to come in. Then when it came, I felt better about it. When it was fully altered I felt even better about it. When I wore it on my wedding day and saw the look on my friends' faces, I felt amazing about it.

I think wedding bloggers, brides, bridal salons, movies, etc put way too much importance on finding the ONE (dress, that is). The dress is one of the millions of decisions you have to make for a wedding and yet people make it sound like you should cry, bubble over with excitement, feel giddy to the core, etc, but in reality it is a dress. A beautiful, expensive, white dress :)

I'm sure your dress is absolutely gorgeous and that you'll look radiant wearing it on your wedding day.

Dezzy Lou Where Are You said...

the scary thing is that I think its GOT to be normal so second guess your choices... youve got so much time and so many options out there its just bound to happen. Im just waiting until it happens to me.

Vic said...

I'll just say 'ditto' to Emily! It's totally normal. I am sure you'll look and feel absolutely beautiful and comfortable in the dress on the big day!

Janet said...

It's beautiful!! I LOVE your dress, it's classy but unique. The back is so pretty and the detailing on the front is the perfect amount. Also the dress made you look even tinnier than you are! What wedding dress does that?!

I haven't gotten there yet, but I can only imagine the apprehension, it's an expensive decision! Just think, WF will be blown away :-)