Thursday, December 3, 2009

Yankee Deep Thoughts


 For years I was this hard core Yankee that would walk literally 3 miles to the subway in Philly and the walk to class in the rain, snow, sleet, heat or whatever mother nature threw at me. I had like 40 coats, jackets and sweaters. I would wear a hat that had some sort of snow ball puff on the top because it was piratical and would bust out the mittens with the fold down top so I could have easy access to my credit card while buying a cup of coffee from a street vendor in the freezing cold weather. Fast forward five years... and I am officially a Texan (at least when it comes to weather everything else I am still working on).

Last night it hit about 39 degrees here in beautiful Austin Texas. And that means freeze warnings, heat on and people panicking about the possibility of snow. I drove home Tuesday night freezing my butt off, it was 45 out, I can't believe I thought 45 was THAT COLD! Then I ran inside not wanting to let my dog out because it was so cold (I did by the way). I then ran back in and changed directly in to my flannel pajamas. Last night I turned the heat on and slipped into some seriously comfy Eagles sweatpants and my big Temple University hoodie I used to wear almost everyday and took a minute laugh as how "soft" I have become. I came to the following conclusion, its OK, because I genuinely like Texas and I have had so much fun living here. I resolved myself to the idea of never really having a white Christmas again but then again, who really likes to shovel the sidewalk anyway?

So I guess in 4 working on 5 years I have lost more and more of my Yankee tough exterior.  I don't like the idea of having to run my car 30 minutes before I can touch the steering wheel, and I am not a fan of my snot freezing in my nose the second I step outside in January, I like being able to feel my face after walking to the car in the Target parking lot. Ladies, I think I might be coming around to this whole not so cold winter thing you all have going on here.

3 comments:

Katie D said...

When did you ever walk three miles to the subway? haha.

Vic said...

Dude. You are / were hardcore! I blame the wind in these parts. Because wind doesn't exist in Yankee territory, does it? Right. So the wind here makes it feel sooo much colder. Excuse. And, done. :)

Kelly said...

I've totally lost my tolerance for the cold since moving to Texas. But I think Vicki is right, part of it is the wind that sucks.