Thursday, October 1, 2009

ACL Prep


So I am not a huge concert goer. I like to go see live music but I am not like some of my friends who go to these tree day festivals and camp out. I am just not that "hard core". I picture myself going to ACL with my lawn chair and drinking some beer in the back of the crowd and just chilling out. Well little did I know I was going with a group of serious concert goers who have all sorts of cool gear and plans for time of shows and such. This made me very nervous, as I don't like crowds and I dont like not being in control. So in the sprit of ACL and hippies everywhere I am going to make an effort to just go with it this weekend.

My friend Janet sent me a VERY detailed list of things to bring with me for ACL and I thought I would share it with all of you. I have already begun to prep all of my outfits and gather all the items on her list. Janet was my Yoda for my first float trip and has not steered me wrong yet!

From Janet:

It's Christine first big ACL adventure, so excited!! Like the float trip here is my 1st timers guide. I may add to this later this week :-)
What to Bring:
- Camel Pack, Bag, Purse or Backpack that is comfortable, not too big and not heavy and in this carry the following:
* water bottle - believe they allow 1-2 per person, you will down it just waiting in line to get your wristband
* a small pouch w/just cash (they have ATMs but lines are long and fees are big - try $30-40/day, think of buying at least one meal and drinks/extra water)
* ID (they do card for booze)
* wipes or Kleenex (TP runs out real quick!)
* cell phone - good to have, but b/c of the # of ppl service is wonky the whole time, so don't rely on it
* chap stick
* extra hair band
* Band-Aid (you never know when your feet will blister)
* sunscreen (may not as big of an issue this year w/the potential rain)
* poncho (super cheap, good to have if it happens to start pouring)
* snack bar - technically you can't bring food in (I think), but you can totally hide a granola bar or 2 at the bottom of your bag
- OPTIONAL - Chairs - this is totally optional! Note that the people who use chairs have to sit further back in a designated section, Ben & I aren't doing the chairs this year b/c it's a lot to carry all day, but it's a preference thing
What to Wear:
- Summer dress, tank and skirt or anything that doesn't show sweat & is super comfy (you will sweat your butt off even if it's cooler b/c of the crowds)
* I'm planning on wearing my summer dresses and bringing a wrap to sit on during the day and use to wrap me at night since it's going to get down in the 60's
- Comfortable shoes (I typically wear flip flops, Ben wears tennis shoes, I want to buy crocs sandals for this year - http://www.crocs.com/crocs-cleo/10043,default,pd.html?cgid=women-footwear-sandals)
What to Expect:
- BIG, HUGE crowds and LONG lines - this fest is sold out, Zilker really isn't that big. There will be a long line for food, water, bathroom, etc.
- Awesome shows! It's fun to get out there and try to listen to bands you haven't even heard of, part of the fun is discovering new music
- Some mud - haven't actually been to an ACL when it rained, so think "would I mind this getting super muddy or dusty?"
- Easy security - when you enter the fest you have to open your bag, they barely check anything which makes it go pretty quickly. . .why mention this? If you want, you can sneak a flask full of your favorite drink of a granola bar or 2. Food/drinks are expensive, this is when I don't feel guilty being a little sneaky.
Getting There:
- The best approach is whatever you think is easiest for you - honestly there isn't a best way unless you know someone super cool who lives w/in walking distance :-)

2 comments:

Janet said...

I freakin' love it!! Ready to get this ACL-party started! So glad it was helpful :-)

Princess Selina said...

Make sure that your water bottles are empty (if they are of the Nalgene type) or they have never been opened (if they are the Ozarka type). The security can get a little pushy on that one. Oh, and last year they didn't allow the aerosol can type sunscreen, only the squeezy bottle kind. Don't forget the hand sanitizer! =)