Thursday, November 5, 2009

Grocery Shopping Tips

So I always tell you guys how organized I am but I never really share any helpful tips. So I thought I would share my thoughts on grocery shopping. It is a task that at one point I hated and now I look forward to. I read one girls blog about this last week and though well crap I do that and more. So here is my attempt to help you all out!



Grocery Shopping:

1. Plan out your menu. I do this every time I go shopping. I really feel it is a good way to save money and time in the end. I usually take about 30 minutes before I head out to the store to go through my fridge and pantry and see what I already have. I then look for recipes that might go with what I already have. Marking on my list any additional items I might need to buy.
2. Try a new meal. I always pick one new meal every trip to attempt. This time it was eggplant parm. I have never made it before and was always intimidated by it. But I put the items on my list and bought everything I needed.I never try something new that has lots of ingredients I would never use again. I try to use what I have while still mixing it up.
3. Go over your basics and write those down too. I used to walk around the store and just have all my basics I knew I should get. But for some reason I would end up with doubles of things or forget other items. So I take the extra minute or two to write everything down and check to make sure if I really need everything.
4. Have a plan of attack when heading into the store. I always have a budget in mind for what I can spend on food on each trip. I come in knowing that all the frill items I might want to buy (like wine and maybe hair products)will be put on the end of the check out line and if I am over my budget on things we really need I start to make cuts. Although you might annoy the check out guy a bit, you are sticking to your budget and that's never a bad thing.
5. Stick to the outside rim of the store. People always walk up and down all the isles. It is so not necessary. You just don't have to do that. Most of the time items in the isles are processed and packaged, therefore not as good for you and they cost more money. It's true! So think about what you really need from isle four before you walk down it. Look at what is listed on the isle marker and then look at your list. It will save you time and money in the end.
6. Check the dates. I always check the dates on all my dairy products. You will find that the newer stuff is in the back of the row and if you take those two extra seconds to not grab the front carton of milk you might add a week onto the shelf life of the item!
7. Use a pre-made list. I love Real Simple's grocery list. Its organized by the flow of the grocery store. So as you walk through each section of the store is will be the next section on your list. It also has space to fill in extra things you need and even reminds you to buy certain household items that I usually don't think of when I grocery shop. Like trash bags and hand soap. I got mine from WF last year for Christmas but I know he got it from Target.They have lots of these types of things out there though. Its worth the investment!
8. Write out your menu. Don't just write down the ingredients you need for your dishes on your list but then on a separate note pad write out what you planned to make. I keep mine on the fridge and it looks like a menu, then when I make it I cross it off. I also write out the cookbook I got it from and the page number. That way those days that I am like ugh I have nothing to cook, I can just look at my menu on the fridge and realize I have all the fixings to make meal A,B and C. It saves me time, money and having to think about dinner too much!

I hope these thoughts help you! They make my life easier! Let me know if any of you have any other ideas to save money and time while grocery shopping. I always like to try new things!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

The premade list helps soooo much. I made my own a while back that's much more detailed than the ones I found online (because i forget things way too easily) and it has saved me so much time!