Thursday, May 27, 2010

Baking: FAIL

In preparation for a fabulous night out with girlfriends on Friday for the Sex and the city 2 movie I tried a new baking recipe. I had decided I wanted to bring French Macaroons to the party and color to match the hostess' party decor PINK. Well I knew it was going to be a challenge but man did I underestimate how much of one.

I found my recipe from epicurean.com, they have raspberry chocolate filling and are super cute because they are pink! I thought well I know it will be a challenge but let's do it. So I started with my fabulous new food processor and pulsed together the almonds and confectioner's sugar. I then whipped the egg whites and salt. This is where the issue began. The egg whites never quite got there in terms of fluffiness. No matter how much or how fast I whipped they were not fluffy enough. I then added sugar and they did not get any better just thicker. I thought maybe I was being weird about this so I added the almond mixture and folded it in anyway. Well then it just became a paste that kind of looked like pink glue. SUCKED. So in a moment of panic I just threw it in the pastry bag and went to town trying to get the perfect little circles on my prepped parchment that the recipe said I should make as it kind of oozed out the bag uncontrollably.

Let me paint you a picture as I did not have a camera to document this situation. I have four bowls out, several pastry bags, two racks of cookie sheets and pink frosting all over my face as I tried to make this work. It never got there and the "circles" turned into blobs of paste and ran together all over the parchment. NOT GOOD.

I threw it all out and called it a night at 11:30. I guess the road to becoming a master baker will be filled will situations like this but I did not enjoy it.  I am going to beat these effing cookies if it kills me. Tonight I am going to make cupcakes - I hope I don't eff these up too. DAMN YOU EGG WHITES!!!

4 comments:

Vic said...

You gave it a hell of a try! better luck in your next attempt.

Anonymous said...

I made them the other day. Hard work. Did you beat the egg whites with a hand mixer? If so you have to beat them until they look like shaving cream. You should be able to hold the bowl upside down and have it not fall. Good luck next time!

Unknown said...

how sad!

Kelly said...

were you doing this by hand?