Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Home decor is hard. That's all.

And now for the update I know you all have been waiting for... my shelving unit project! I will start with this, I have discovered I am in no way creative. I have no skill for home decorating and I think I will have to work for years to get to a level where I can actually blog about my house and how pretty it is. For now let's pretend I am Young House Love and I totally know what I am doing.

I first started by clearing my unit completely. I then laid it all out next to the unit and started to take inventory of what I actually wanted to have out and what I just had out because I had to stick things on shelves. As you can see there was no theme whatsoever, and there was no rhyme or reason to what I had on there.

Next I knew I wanted to make the shelves more practical, and I needed to be able to cover up some of the ugly old albums and such I have collected over the years. I found the PERFECT solution! These brown and cream canvas bins from Target! They are the absolute perfect fit! I like the simplicity of them. I Love Love Love these less than $10 bins!!!!
Here is the brand and packaging. They apparently are part of a big shelving system for your closets and can be found at most Targets in lots of colors and patterns!

 Next, I read that organizing books by color can really give an organized look. I totally was not sure about using all the colors I had but I thought I would give it a try. I thought they came out cute! I moved them around from cube to cube until I found a good balance.

 I then stored all of my old miss matched albums in the bins, and then hid them away forever!

 Here is the whole thing mid way through, I changed out all my picture frames to be the same family and look. I think that finally brought everything together. I moved things from other parts of the house to bring in more color and "casual elegance" that I am so desperate to have! I still don't know what I am doing at this point.

 SIX HOURS LATER.... This was the final result. I am really happy with the way things turned out. I am sure I will keep moving things around. I for sure did not want to go out and buy more stuff to go in these shelves so for working with what I have in the house. So with that I don't think I did too bad for only spending $40 on the bins and nothing else!


2 comments:

Devon said...

I demand a recount!

(Translation: The pictures didn't come through!)

amelia said...

didn't get the pics, but from your descriptions, i know it looks awesome!

sorry i missed being a design assistant last weekend/this week... sounds like you've got it taken care of, but my offer for any and all home decor still stands! hang out soon???