Tuesday, May 10, 2011

This what happens when I read other peoples blogs...

I think I am cool and artsy.

This past weekend Mr.A had to work. So left alone to my own vices I decided to start on a new gallery wall for our living room. I was so inspired by Young House Love's gallery wall that I thought I would give it a try and see what kind of mess I could make.

A little background history for you. I bought a bunch of gold picture frames for our wedding that we used on the guest book table. I loved them for the wedding but I hated them for our house. I intended on selling them but after that failed I put them away in the closet and did not think about them for 6 months. After falling in love with what John and Sherry did I decided I needed to try it out. I had done a very basic gallery wall in the apartment when we first moved in. I used mismatched frames and just made it work. It actually came out pretty good considering I did not measure anything and I had no plan when I started it. But I never really loved it and I always wanted to try something new.

The ugly gold frame example. Just one of sooo many!
After I started to pull down the gallery wall I used to have. But you can see the space.
So this weekend I devised a plan. I would go through all of my frames and organize them. Then I would spray paint them to match! I. am. a. genius. So after I laid out all of my ugly gold frames and thought this is going to suck. So I ran to Home Depot and picked up some primer, masking tape and Kaki colored matte spray paint. I hit my first snag when I realized that the back of some of these frames did not come off. Meaning that I could not spray paint these frames very easily without them looking cheap. So I left the glass in the frames and taped them up as you can see here:
I found a use for all those copies of Time we have laying around. Read them you say? Never.
I then went to town on my frames out on my balcony, after the guy at Home Depot told me to wait because it was to humid out and too hot. NONSENSE I said. I have special powers. And I began. Turns out he was right. It took much longer for the paint to dry than the ten minutes it said it would on the can and I also sweat a lot more sitting in the sun while spray painting.

Looking good so far, I think!
Oh so many frames... At this point I want to die from heat exhaustion.

Up next, I will show you how I am going to lay out all my frames and plan the space. Let me give you a hint, I needed more frames... and I am still not done with spray paint.



No comments: