Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Month-A-Versary

Yesterday was our one month-a-versary. We are just an old married couple now. God I can't believe how fast time goes by! We spent most of the night doing stuff for my work which kind of sucked. But I did realize that it was not that bad when my new husband poured me a glass of red wine and took a crack at the project with me. It could have been way more crappy. Marriage is awesome. 

I attempted to use our new crock pot last night. Here is the beautiful beast: 
I made a new turkey chili recipe from Gina's, SkinnyTaste.com. It was super easy. I prepped it the night before and then just turned the crock pot on low for the day. I love the cock pot! Here is the recipe: 

Crock Pot 3 Bean Turkey Chili
 Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 12  Serving Size: 10.8 oz  Prep Time: 20 minutes  Points: 3.125 ww points
  • 1.3 lb (20 oz) fat free ground turkey breast
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (16 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1 (4.5 oz) can chopped chilies, drained
  • 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, undrained
  • 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, undrained
  • 1 (15.5 oz) can small red beans, undrained
  • 2 tbsp chili powder
Topping:
  • 1/2 cup chopped red onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro for topping
  • shredded cheddar to top (extra pts)
Brown turkey and onion in a medium skillet over medium high heat until cooked through.
Drain any fat remaining and transfer to crock pot. Add the beans, chilies, chickpeas tomatoes, tomato sauce and chili powder mixing well.
Cook on high 6-8 hours.
Garnish with onions, cilantro and cheese and enjoy!

It was really good, I topped it off with a smidgen of sour cream and some toast. Perfect for a somewhat chilly night in Texas. I do have one issue though the hubs does not like beans and this was a very bean heavy recipe. He actually sat there and picked them all out of the chili while eating. I don't know what is wrong with him. I need to find a chili sans beans, any thoughts? Would it just be turkey soup then? 



2 comments:

Hailey said...

My mom makes chili with no beans - just a simple chili recipe...ground beef, chili powder, garlic, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes...and then anything else you want to add (chilis, etc.).

My dad's the same way and doesn't like chili with beans! :)

Unknown said...

Happy Month A Versary!