Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Dinner with great friends

So tonight I cooked dinner for my great girlfriends Kelly Wylie, Whitney (Wheeler) Black and Kelly Daniel. I think it was quite a success. The food was great and I got a chance to catch up with some great friends. It was the first time I had a chance to catch up with the new Mrs. Black and hear all about her wonderful honeymoon in Italy. While getting the lowdown on that and many other juicy details from both Kelly's.

On the menu for tonight, first an Apple and Carrot salad that turned out to be wonderful and delish. It was one weight watchers point per serving AWESOME! I of course was super liberal with my servings! The recipe goes as follows:


2 large apple(s), 1 red and 1 green, cored, thinly sliced, cut into matchsticks

1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, or less to taste

3 cup(s) carrot(s), cut into matchsticks (many stores sell these precut)

1/4 cup(s) chives, chopped

1 tbsp olive oil

1 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp table salt

1/4 tsp black pepper, or more to taste

2 oz feta cheese, French-variety suggested, crumbled

Instructions

  • Place apples in a large bowl and toss with lemon juice. Add carrots, chives, oil, sugar, salt, pepper and cheese; toss to mix thoroughly. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.

For a second dish I tried a meal I found on Gina's Weight Watchers recipes blog. It was made with Spaghetti and Zucchini. Yummy summer pasta I loved. Here is the recipe:

Angel Hair with Zucchini and Tomatoes
Tonight I was in the mood for pasta so I decided to make something quick and light. This turned out delicious! Zucchini is a great summer vegetable and happens to be one of my favorite veggies.
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 4 servings Time: 10 minutes Points: 5 ww points
  • 2 zucchini, julienne or cut into ribbons
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 shallots, diced
  • 3 tomatoes, diced
  • 4 tsp olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  • crushed red pepper flakes to taste
  • 8 oz (1/2 lb) Barilla plus angel hair pasta
  • 1/4 cup fat free chicken or vegetable broth
In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta according to instructions.
While pasta is cooking, in a large saute pan, heat pan on medium-high flame, add oil when pan is hot. Add garlic and shallots to the pan and saute about 1 minute. Add zucchini and season with salt and pepper. Cook about 2 minutes, add tomatoes, crushed red pepper flakes, parsley, chicken broth and adjust salt and pepper. Stir for another minute. Remove from flame.
Drain pasta when done and mix well with zucchini. Serve with Parmesan.


Thanks to my wonderful assistant Kelly Daniel, who consistently said, "Why god don't you have a food processor!?" as I gave her another thing to cut. Love you!

No comments: