Thursday, March 15, 2012

We are buying a house!!!!

Dude what happened!? This is the feeling I have right now. The last 72 hours have been a total whirlwind. I can’t believe I am saying this but we are UNDER CONTRACT right now! We are sooooooo excited I can’t even begin to tell you all.


Let me start at the beginning of this whole story and give you a play by play on how we found our new home!


About 10 days ago we got notice that our house came on the market. At the time we were still not over the house we lost in Crestview and were not really ready to accept that we were not going to be able to afford the neighborhoods we were stressing out to look in. On top of the houses were selling so fast, or they were going above asking price. So even if we thought we might be able to afford a house we would be out bid by someone else. We thought we were in for the long haul on this but as I mentioned before this whole home buying process had started to kind of suck. So when the house we are now buying came across our emails we dismissed it pretty quickly even though our REALTOR has suggested we take a look at it. Ironically she was totally right.


Fast forward to Sunday. Nothing had come on the market really at all. And I was not really doing much on the house search really. I just did not want to end up finding a house we loved that was out of our price range and doing something crazy. So this past Sunday I got my car washed and ran some errands. While waiting for my car to finish up I stated to screw around on my REALTOR.com app on my phone. Using the map feature I was able to hone in on the area we liked. Two new listings that I had not seen came up in the search. I looked at the pictures and both had lots of promise and best of all were in our price range! So then I noticed that they were both having open houses right then. So just as my car finished drying, I headed over to the open houses to check them out. I did not even tell Mr. A or have my REATLOR with me. Just thought I will knock these two off my list and keep waiting.


I have found that the camera can be super deceptive so even though these looked good on my phone, I had no excitement that they would be good in any way. So I headed up to this neighborhood, which is further out from town than we wanted, but still a great location. It was doable to me to compromise on the neighborhood to get the house we wanted.


I walked into the first open house and the REALTOR was standing there waiting for me. He was super nice, but to be honest knew jack shit about the listing. Clearly he was just covering the open house. This house was also clearly a former rental, and then an investor came in and spruced it up a bit. But I was just not feeling it. For those who are curious here is the house I am talking about: http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/11715-Shoshone-Dr_Austin_TX_78759_M84227-37783


Then I hoped over one block and pulled up to our house. It was totally adorable and cute from the outside, so I of course thought that there was for sure going to be something wrong with it inside. When I walked in I was pleasantly surprised. It was super cute. Vaulted ceilings, good living space and flow. I got super pumped at this point. I called Mr. A right away, who was at SXSW film festival and told him I wanted him to see this place. After talking to the REALTOR on site she informed me that the house actually already had a cash offer on it. This house had been on the market 10 days, WTF!? I called our REALTOR and got her to make an appointment to see the house at 8am the next morning. I was not going to loose out on this house dammit.


Then in a  twist of fate… a third house in the same neighborhood just a few blocks away listed. It was the same size and open concept, just slightly different layout. We called our REALTOR and she booked a showing for that house at 8:15 the same morning. So we headed over bright and early the next morning.


Here are the links to the two homes. I want you to tell me which one you thought we picked! I will tell you all about the negociations and contracts tomorrow when I reveal the house we picked!

1 comment:

Devon said...

Congratulations!

I'm so glad you're buying the one with the symmetrical garage!