Monday, February 13, 2012

My first house hunting heartbreak

Well I had a really crappy house hunting experience this weekend. How about you? Nothing? Oh well then I am jealous of you all.

As mentioned in my previous post I was all excited about a new house that came on the market like Tuesday or Wednesday. I did not let on how pumped I was about the house, but let me tell you I was. This house was totally awesome and one of those that I would have had to it when we moved in houses. All the colors, the layout, the kitchen, the yard, all of it was just what I/we wanted. 

Sunday we planned to go to the open house with our REALTOR. We got dressed and as we were heading out the door, we got the text from hell. The house went under contract. Not taking backups. It was gone. Never even got a chance to find out if I really loved it or not, never will know if it was perfect or not. It will just never be an option. And like that I started to cry. It was the most indescribable feeling. Like someone had just ripped a piece of your favorite desert out of your hands after you cooked it, decorated it, planned a party for it and planned out where all your furniture would go in it,  started to take a bite. Just sucked. It was the first time I had loved a house that much and just like that I had to just get over it. It is so sold; it’s not even on MLS anymore.
So there you have it. I am heartbroken. First time home buying not so much fun

Then I got in the car with the funniest lady ever, Kelly, who at 8 months pregnant is even funnier. She informed me that “fun” is not the word she would describe home buying. She told me that that is bull shit and fun is not the word she would use. She said it sucks and I should just get used to it sucking. But that there is hope, that one day a house will come on the listings and I will race over to see it and just know that it’s the house for me. And we will find our first home. I needed to hear that. I needed to know I was not cray cray for crying over this house. 

So now I know. Home buying is going to be full of highs and lows, and although more tears are in my future for sure, I hope they are more happy then sad.

On to the next house…

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can not agree with Kelly more! I just went threw these emotions myself. It is only fun in our day dreams. The reality is your shopping in Austin and it feels like your shopping in LA or NYC these days. I find it's very stressful.
as I was wisely advised... YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE EMOTION OUT OF THE SHOPPING! really hard for a woman I know!
No house will be 100% perfect. MLS never photographs the leaky roof and the miniature laundry rooms. It's like Facebook for houses where they put there best pictures up ONLY!
You will find a house you like and YOU will make it PERFECT for The Anderson's!

rena said...

Aw man, that sucks! I had a similar experience and lost a house i thought was perfect for me! and then I found something even better! and so will you guys!! You'll find it, don't worry!! :)

Janet said...

You are kidding! I wouldn't be totally bummed to! Haha I like Amber's comment, it's like being "friends with benefits" and taking the emotion out of the process.